With sustainability increasingly top-of-mind for small businesses, many brands are making the switch from plastic packing tape, to options that are kinder to the planet, and paper tape is leading the way.
It's a great alternative for sealing packages as well as adding a branded element to packaging. When it comes to decising which is right for your business, there are a few options to consider. Each of our paper tape products looks and feels a little different so, depending on your objectives and brand, one might be a better fit over another. We know that making decisions when faced with many options can be a little overwhelming, so we've put together a quick guide explaining each of the types of packing tape we offer.
Before you read on, you should know that all the paper tape products detailed below are made with FSC Certified paper with natural adhesives, and are 100% recyclable. So, you can rest easy, knowing that whichever choice you make, it’s far less harmful to the environment than plastic packing tape.
Non-Reinforced Water Activated Paper Tape
Non-reinforced paper tape is available in multiple options:
- Plain, unprinted in natural kraft or white, with no minimum order. Ideal to create a minimal look for your brand. Match your tape to your boxes, whether they’re kraft or white, and use another element like a sticker or stamp to make your brand or messaging stand out.
- Our range of pre-designed water activated paper tape is great for adding visual interest to your parcels, without designing something yourself. With multiple styles [all designed in collaboration with local illustrators and designers], and with no minimum order quantity, you can mix and match or switch it up until you find your perfect fit.
- The ideal entry into custom packing tape with no minimum order - print your logo in black on kraft tape with our [printed in-house in Melbourne] custom paper tape. Available in quantities up to 5 rolls, this is by far the simplest and most affordable way to branch out into custom, sustainable packaging.
- Step up your branded packaging with more design and print options with our bulk custom paper tape, minimum order of 25 rolls. You can choose from white or kraft coloured reinforced tape, and have your design or logo printed in up to two colours of your choice.
How do I use it?
This is a water-activated paper tape, so you need to apply water to the underside of the tape to activate the adhesive, which can be done using a damp sponge, or for higher volumes we recommend using any of our water-activated tape dispensers [we have several options depending on your volume].
Non-reinforced tape is best suited for sealing cardboard boxes that weigh up to 15kg. For heavier boxes, we’d recommend reinforced paper tape for extra strength.
Reinforced Water Activated Paper Tape
Reinforced paper tape is available in two different options:
- Plain, unprinted in natural kraft color, with no minimum order. Ideal to create a natural, raw aesthetic for your brand. It will blend nicely with kraft shipping boxes, so you can use another element like a sticker or stamp to make your brand or messaging stand out on the box.
- Make your packaging pop with paper tape custom printed with your design when you order quantity of 25 rolls or more. You can choose from white or kraft coloured reinforced tape, and have your design or logo printed in up to two colours.
How do I use it?
Like the non-reinforced paper tape, This is a water-activated paper tape, so you need to apply water to the underside of the tape to activate the adhesive, which can be done using a damp sponge, or for higher volumes we recommend using any of our heavy-duty water-activated tape dispensers.
Reinforced tape is designed to provide some extra support for heavy boxes, more than 15kg. For lighter parcels, we’d recommend opting for non-reinforced paper tape.
Self Adhesive Kraft Paper Tape
This tape is available in natural kraft color only. It’s perfect if you’re looking for a natural, raw aesthetic. It blends well with the texture of kraft shipping boxes and creates a uniform look - meaning you can use another element like a sticker or stamp to make your brand stand out.
How do I use it?
This is a self-adhesive tape, so you can use it in the same way you would use plastic packing tape. It’s also hand-tearable, which means you don’t need a tape dispenser [although if you’d prefer to use one, we have one available].
This is a great entry into paper tape, if you’re looking to make the switch from plastic tape to reduce your impact on the environment, but aren’t sure about water activated paper tape. It can safely seal cartons weighing up to 10kg, and can be used in cool rooms.